Saturday, March 22, 2014

2014, new opportunities

WOW, 76 page views in the last month! I hope you enjoyed my old musings from yesteryear. This must mean there is some interest in what I am up to, or folks have followed me back from Facebook and the garden blogs I've been reading. So lets have a big hello for Scotland, Maine, Denmark, Norway, Russia, England, Texas, Delaware, Washington State, etc!

So, a lot has happened since 2012 ended. I helped my parents move from Manassas to Hopewell (40 years of stuff is a lot to pack and move), taken up a martial art, lost 40 pounds, chopped much wood, and my garden is about to get some long defered attention.

This year I've been learning about permaculture gardening, and as it happens parts of my yard are perfect for several species which like open forest habitat. Hog Peanut, Caucsian Spinach and others which I hope to try for 2014. Another addition is the much whispered about ground nut/hopnis/Apios americana, which likes moist, stream conditions (something my hiltop house may not provide much of).

The veggie garden is getting a huge expansion as soon as I can decide which method to use to import the 38 cubic yards I have calculated that I need. You may ask, what on earth can this single guy need with 2,027 square feet of garden at a depth of 6 or 7 inches. Well, raspberries, currants, blueberries, Jerusalem artichokes, corn, beans, longbeans, zinnias, amaranth, quinoa, calendula, sunflowers, squash, bitter melon, celosia, cabage, kale, potatoes, mint, herbs, onions . . . you get the picture. This year is a huge experiment and any overage will be preserved (no, I don't know how to can food) or given away to neighbors and friends. Watch the bugs get it all instead. ;) The first step was getting sufficient concrete blocks to outline the expanded main garden and one on the north side of my house between my lot and the neighbors' ( a lovely couple). I am six blocks short, but that is easily remedied.

So this is where I still hope to share musings, but also talk about gardening, hiking, the local area and Ninpo (Gunbukan Rules Baby!). Maybe some day I'll translate my posts into futhark characters. >:)

No comments:

Post a Comment